Is PBTCA An Environmentally Friendly Scale Inhibitor?
Whether PBTCA belongs to an environmentally-friendly scale inhibitor or not, many customers have this question when purchasing. Today IRO will talk about PBTCA. Before determining whether PBTC acid is an environmentally friendly scale inhibitor, it is necessary to talk about the types of scale inhibitors.
So far, the types of scale inhibitors that are widely used in the water treatment industry are mainly the following. Organic phosphine scale inhibitor (phosphorus), organic phosphonate scale inhibitor (phosphorus), compound scale inhibitor, environmental scale inhibitor (PESA, PASP, etc.), low phosphorus containing scale inhibitor (such as PBTCA).
Among the organic phosphine type scale inhibitors, PBTCA is one of the lowest scale inhibitors. The reason is that its structural characteristics contain only one phosphorus element in the molecular formula. At the same time, PBTC chemical has the characteristics of phosphonic acid and carboxylic acid, which has good scale inhibition and corrosion inhibition performance and is much better than other organic phosphonic acid scale inhibitors.
PBTCA has low phosphorus content and is ideal for scale inhibition. Within the foreseeable range, PBTC acid is still the main product in water treatment chemicals and can be used as a compound or as a separate ingredient.
As the country’s environmental requirements become more stringent, the use of more water treatment agents with higher phosphorus content is limited. PBTC acid meets national environmental requirements. PBTCA is relatively affordable and is a good choice for most companies.
It is well known that organic phosphine water treatment agents are most widely used in monomer water treatment agents. Faced with more environmental pressures, water treatment agents are moving towards diversification. For example, compounding, copolymer, polymer, and other water treatment agents are more targeted when used.
The full name of PBTCA is 2-phosphonobutane-1 2 4-tricarboxylic acid.
The advantages of 2-phosphono butane-1 2 4-tricarboxylic acid are as follows.
- Good chemical stability, not easy to decompose, high-temperature resistance, strong acid, and alkali resistance and oxidant resistance. It is used together with oxidizing biocides such as sodium hypochlorite and chlorine.
- PBTCA has a much higher tolerance to Ca2+. It is used under the conditions of high hardness, high alkali, high temperature, high pH and high concentration. It can still achieve good scale inhibition effect.
- PBTCA has a high solubility in zinc salts and good stability. It can be combined with zinc salt to obtain very good corrosion inhibition effect.
- PBTCA has low phosphorus content (only 11-15%), and it has low dosage and is not subject to environmental emissions. It is one of the more advanced circulating cooling water treatment chemicals in China.
Among the organic phosphine water treatment agents, PBTCA is one of the most suitable organic phosphine monomers for environmentally friendly scale inhibitors due to its own characteristics and low phosphorus content. PBTC acid has the structural properties common to phosphonic acids and carboxylic acids.
Therefore, it is relatively superior to other organic phosphonic acids, and it has excellent scale inhibition and corrosion inhibition properties. At the same time, PBTC chemical is resistant to high temperature and high alkali, and its scale inhibition performance at high temperature is much higher than other commonly used organic phosphines. PBTCA is also used as a special corrosion and scale inhibitor for high temperature.
PBTCA is the most widely used in the combination of high-efficiency corrosion and scale inhibitors. It is one of the best performance products among all known scale inhibitors. At the same time, PBTC has functional diversity. For example, PBTCA can also be used as a stabilizer for zinc salts. In addition, PBTCA can also be used as a chelating agent and metal cleaner in the washing industry.
PBTCA is currently mainly used for corrosion and scale inhibition of circulating cooling water systems and oilfield refill systems. PBTC acid is compounded with zinc salt and copolymer during use and is used for high temperature, high alkali, high hardness water quality.
If you want to know more about PBTCA, you contact us by email.
- How to Choose and Use Water Treatment Chemicals Reasonably
- HEDP and PBTCA In Circulating Water Systems
- Is PBTCA An Environmentally Friendly Scale Inhibitor
- Use of Circulating Water Treatment Chemicals in Power Plants
- Selection and Industrial Application of Scale and Corrosion Inhibitors
- Exploration of Oilfield Produced Water Treatment Technology